The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street. A neighborhood changes with the times. Pure Oil gas station circa 1960. Hupp Motors circa 1930. Schine's Temple Theater circa 1927. Dr. Tubbs' house and office circa 1910. Church Motors circa 1953. In the early 1930's, due to financial problems, the owners of the Green Lantern Inn sold the front portion of the property to Pure Oil Company, who built the little white gas station building, which is a rare example of its type and is also considered historic. The building has served as a dry cleaners, a real estate office, and the Slocum-Lauder Insurance Agency. The DeLand Christian Center, next door to the church, was once the site of Hupp Motors which sold Fords and Lincolns and provided gas and repair service. Schine's Temple Theater was built in 1927 at a cost of $175,000. The Italianate 60Ft. x 150 ft. building with a 15ft. x 30ft. stage was advertised as "absolutely fireproof". With the advent of television, movie-going habits changed and the local theaters could not compete. The theater was sold to the Fairport Masonic Lodge in 1958 for $30,000. The house at 75 South Main Street was owned by Dr. Tubbs. He began his pracice there in 1889 and lived in the house until his death in 1900. In the 1950's and 1960's, Church Motors, sellers
of Dodge automobiles, stood at the corner of Pleasant and South Main Streets.