The Potter Property From Private Estate to public amenity. Fred Potter. Spencer Philbrick's original Italianate mansion. Fred Potter and his chauffeur on West Church Street. The Potter Mansion. In 1858, Spencer Philbrick constructed a large and elegant Italianate house and carriage barn at 53 West Church Street. The property extended from Church Street to Lewis Street, and was surrounded by a picket fence. The Potter family moved into the house in 1872. Mrs. Hulda Potter oversaw significant renovations in the mansion, removing the Italianate tower and trim and adding a shingle-style third story with balconies and space for a ballroom, a front porch, and a port-cochere. Their son, Fred Potter, lived in the house until his death in 1943. He bequeathed $50,000, the house, the carriage barn, and the land to the Village of Fairport. It has served as a community center and a playground since 1944.