Farragut Schools: Early Years Historical

Farragut Schools: Early Years Historical (HM1WJX)

Location: Knoxville, TN 37934 Knox County
Country: United States of America

N 35° 53.233', W 84° 10'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 58 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
In 1902, eight men from the community met to consider the question of establishing a high school in the 10th district of Knox County. Mr. C.H. Stoltzfus, a farmer in the community, was elected president of this group. Mass meetings for all members of the community were called. Among those who participated in these meetings were University of Tennessee President Charles W. Dabney, Professor P.P. Claxton, Mr. J.D. Eggleson of the Southern Education Board, and Executive secretary Wallace Buttrick of the General Education Board.

The community raised $5,000 in case, pledges, and timber. This was matched by an equal amount by the General Education Board. Mr. W.A. Doughty gave 12 acres of land upon which the new school was placed. Mr. Charles E. Koon oversaw the building of the school and was appointed administrator until Amanda Stoltzfus became principal in 1904.

The school opened to pupils in 1904. The original building contained six class rooms and as assembly hall. The University of Tennessee Department of Education was particularly interested in the school, hoping to make it a model for southern rural communities and also an object lesson for the students of the Summer School of the South, held at the University. For two years, the work of the school proceeded satisfactorily, and several hundred books were added to the library
which was used by both the school and the community.

On the night of March 15, 1906, the building and its contents were destroyed by a fire. On the morning after the fire, the patrons of the school and other residents of the district held a mass meeting upon the grounds and unanimously agreed that the school must be rebuilt. Temporary quarters were arranged in an abandoned church in the neighborhood, where the year's work was completed.

The new two story brick school boasted two additional buildings, a barn and chicken house and sat on an additional eight acres. The school contained a basement, water system and study hall which would seat 300 people when arranged as an assembly hall. At the juncture of Kingston Pike and Concord Road, a concrete water box for horses and a public drinking fountain were erected. The money for the fountain was subscribed by the pupils, teachers and patrons of the school. On the water box in brass letters were the words: "Erected by the Farragut School and Community, 1910," and the fountain was inscribed "Farragut Drinking Fountain".

In 1915, the school received the silver medal and two certificates at the Panama Pacific International Expo held in San Francisco. Farragut High School received the award for the second best educational exhibit by the rural schools of the United States. When the University of Tennessee's Dr. Philander
P. Claxton became the United States Commissioner for education in 1913, his admiration for Farragut led to the publication of Bulletin No. 49, entitled "The Farragut School, A Tennessee Country-Life School." This bulletin may have helped initiate the Smith-Hughes Act of 1917, which provided funds for vocational high schools that would institute agricultural programs. Farragut was named the first Smith-Hughes School in the nation.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1WJX
Tags
Placed ByFarragut Museum
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 at 9:02am PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 755757 N 3975147
Decimal Degrees35.88721667, -84.16666667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 35° 53.233', W 84° 10'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds35° 53' 13.98" N, 84° 10' 0" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)865
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 317 N Campbell Station Rd, Knoxville TN 37934, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?