First Taylor County Courthouse Historical

First Taylor County Courthouse Historical (HM1VFO)

Location: Campbellsville, KY 42718 Taylor County
Country: United States of America

N 37° 20.483', W 85° 20.717'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 78 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

1848-1864

The first courthouse was a brick building constructed in 1848, the year the county separated from Green County. It was larger than the second courthouse and was located in the center of the square.

During the Civil War, Federal troops slept inside on its floor and used it as a hospital and to store supplies. Both Federal and Rebel soldiers camped on the grounds of the Court House Square.

"We were quartered in the Campbellsville Court House and after early candle lighting, a large number of citizens assembled Mr. Joseph Chandler (state representative) addressed the assembly upon the present state of national affairs...I did not enjoy a very good night's rest in consequence of having to lie on the brick floor and not having a sufficiency of blankets to keep me out of absorbing distance of the bricks."
-Pvt. Marcus Woodcock

Gen. George Thomas' Troops marched through Campbellsville
January 1, 1862


In January 1862, two brigades of Brig. General George Thomas' men numbering at least 5,000, marched from Lebanon through Campbellsville on their way to Mill Springs near Somerset where they defeated Rebel General Felix Zollicoffer's troops. the commanders of the two Federal brigades were Col. Mahlon Manson and Col. Robert McCook. Both Manson and McCook were later promoted to general.

General
John Hunt Morgan and his raiders
1862-1863


Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's rebel force came through Campbellsville twice during the Civil War. On the Christmas Raid in 1862, Morgan had 3,900 troops headed south, returning to Tennessee. On the Great Raid in July 1863, Morgan commanded 2,500 troops headed north to Indiana and Ohio.

On these dashes through Campbellsville, Morgan's troops robbed cribs to feed their horses and devoured a large amount of food from peoples' kitchens and meat houses. From cobblers and saddle shops, leather was taken for shoes and harness. Horses were taken from stables. However, on occasion, the Rebels left worn out horses in their place. But, on neither raid, did Morgan set fire to the Taylor County Courthouse. However, another Confederate general did.

Morgan's men burned the Green River Bridge and Stockade on the Christmas Raid January 1, 1863. Six months later, on Morgan;s Great Raid, his troops returned and engaged Federal soldiers in the Battle of Tebbs Bend - Green River Bridge on July 4, 1863 here in Taylor County.

Gen. Hylan B. Lyon's 800-mile Confederate Raid
December 9, 1864 - January 3, 1865


General Lyon's troops had already set five courthouses on fire before they reached Campbellsville. His forces left their Hodgenville camp on a cold Christmas morning in 1864
and came to Campbellsville with about 250 men and one piece of artillery. Lyon, known as the "Courthouse Burnin'est General in Kentucky." found that the courthouse was service as a Federal depot for quartermaster and commissary stores.

After allowing three women and a little boy, J.R. "June" Smith, to enter the building to remove the records, Lyon ordered his men to torch the structure. Rebel soldiers surrounded the courthouse until it burned to the ground.

During the time there was no court building, court was held in the Campbellsville Baptist Church, then a white frame building, located across the street from the courthouse at 205 North Columbia. later, court was moved to the County and Circuit Clerks' Office building on the Courthouse Square after their building was completed in 1866.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1VFO
Tags
Placed ByCampbellsville Renaissance
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, October 30th, 2016 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 646574 N 4134028
Decimal Degrees37.34138333, -85.34528333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 37° 20.483', W 85° 20.717'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds37° 20' 28.98" N, 85° 20' 43.02" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)270
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 204 N Columbia Ave, Campbellsville KY 42718, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?