The Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury Historical

The Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury Historical (HM1T3F)

Location: Cranbury Township, NJ 08512 Middlesex County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 18.842', W 74° 30.835'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 105 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
The Sexton's House
The adjacent private home located at 3 Westminster Place was constructed in 1840 as the home of the Sexton of the Church. As with most historic homes in Cranbury, this house has been modified since its original construction.
The Church Chapel (also later known as the Westminster House) formerly stood in the area of the current driveway of the Sexton's House. This Chapel became the Cranbury Youth Center in 1945 and was utilized for numerous community functions. The building remained in that location for several decades after the Church was razed.
On the property across the street from the Sexton's House stood horse sheds used to house the horses for those attending services at the Church. The current garage for the Sexton's House was rebuilt in the 1970's from the last of those horse sheds.

Second Presbyterian Chruch

On this site stood the Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury, constructed in 1838 on Church Street, now Westminster Place. In 1837, a number of members of the First Presbyterian Church decided to withdraw from the Church and erect a new house of worship on this property.
The Second Presbyterian Church served its members for almost a century until the re-unification of the First and Second Presbyterian congregations in 1935. This merger was accomplished largely
through the efforts of Rev. Frank B. Everitt, who served as pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church from 1929-1935. The Church building was torn down a year later in 1936.

Westminster Cemetery and Monument

Westminster Cemetery was initially established for the congregation (and relations) of the Second Presbyterian Church. These burial grounds were later opened to members of the First Presbyterian Church (and relations) after the merger of the two churches. The cemetery is now open to all, regardless of religious affiliation.
Visitors are encouraged to visit the monument constructed in 1940 on the original site of the Church. This monument was erected to perpetuate the memory of the Second Presbyterian Church and to honor the ten pastors who served this Church. This monument may be viewed on the cemetery property behind this sign.
Specific individual plot locations and additional grave site information can be found at www.cranbury.org/history/Cemetery
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1T3F
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, July 16th, 2016 at 9:01am PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 541301 N 4462726
Decimal Degrees40.31403333, -74.51391667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 18.842', W 74° 30.835'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 18' 50.52" N, 74° 30' 50.1" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)609, 732
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 6 Westminster Pl, Cranbury Township NJ 08512, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?