This circa 1741 barn is the oldest in Cranbury and one of the oldest in New Jersey. It is a significant example of barn construction of the 18th century with its beams being hand hewn from white oak. Originally part of the Parsonage Plantation of the First Presbyterian Church, located to the rear of Symmes Court it is situated in the "Barn Park" created and owned by the Township of Cranbury. When it became evident that to save the barn meant moving it, the Cranbury Historical & Preservation Society in cooperation with the Township disassembled and stored it until a suitable site was found. Subsequently, the Township acquired property on Cranbury Neck Road where several barns were located and it was a logical choice to re-assembled and restore the barn there.
Funding for the restoration project was made possible by the Township of Cranbury, the Cranbury Historical & Preservation Society, Cranbury Landmarks, Inc., and the Estates of Eugenie McE Bunting and Marilyn Green.
The Historic Site Marker is a gift to the people of Cranbury from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2013