The dam, constructed in the 1800's with rebuilding and repairs through the late 19th century, diverted the Cranbury Brook in order to supply power to the local grist and saw mills.
Local sewer construction in the 1977 unearthed and partially destroyed portions of the original structure before archaeologists halted the work and revealed portions of a well-preserved crib dam.
Section of the Original Crib Dam Unearthed During Main Street Excavations
Donald Jackson of the Historic American Engineering Record helped identify the structure with its various rebuildings.
Drawing of a Typical Crib Dam with Plank CoveringJames Leffel, Construction of Mill Dams, 1881, Park Ridge, New Jersey, Noyes Press
A Gift of Squibb Corporation, 1987