C. 1872This Federal-Italianate home was originally a two story school house and Odd Fellows lodge. In 1872, the three story front section was built by Joseph Hedrick, the official of the C&D Canal. In 1879, Mr. Hedrick was caught using canal funds to finance the work; he left the country and the house was sold at public auction. Joseph Steele purchased the home and erected the iron fence which bears the Steele name. In 1926, the Howard family purchased the home. Their daughter, Eloise, married Dr. H.V. Davis in 1938. The left side of the home was used as Dr. Davis' medical offices until his retirement in 1978. In 1984, the Lees purchased the home for their residence.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland: Chesapeake City Historic District series|
|Placed By||Ed and Susanna Lee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 10:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 430030 N 4375531|
|Decimal Degrees||39.52658333, -75.81410000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 31.595', W 75° 48.846'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 31' 35.70" N, 75° 48' 50.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 301 George St, Chesapeake City MD 21915, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.