Historical Marker Series

Maryland: Chesapeake City Historic District

Showing results 1 to 10 of 23
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEL_cropper-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
Over the years this building has served many purposes. Originally the building was the home of captain Kendall Cropper in 1833 who, along with his three brothers, were instrumental in founding the town. Dr. Thomas Conrey was another early owner of this prop…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEN_shipwatch-inn_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
This waterfront property was originally built as a private residence in 1920 for Captain Firman Layman, proprietor of the Bayard House Restaurant. The property housed a stable, barber shop and apartments until 1996 when it was renovated and restored into an…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEP_kinter-metz-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
Thomas Conrey probably had this house built around 1854 with lumber from his mill. In 1876 it came into the possession of Jacob Metz and his wife, Sarah. Mr. Metz was a blacksmith with a business on the corner of Front Street and William Street. This dwelli…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEQ_gassaway-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
The original lease for this property dated October 4, 1856 given to Henry Robinson. Robert & Evelyn Gassaway resided in and owned the property in the 1970's. Mr. Gassaway became the first African American mayor elected to that office by 80 percent of the vo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMES_world-war-ii-monument_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
In grateful tribute to the men and women of the Second district who served in World War IIGlory to them that died in this great causeBasalyga, Walter · Bailey, Harry · Cahall, William K. · Fithian, Albert · Gilbert, Robert &middo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEU_mcreynolds-woods-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
This home was occupied by several notable people over the years. The bridge tender for the long bridge, Mr. Hevelow, used the railing from the bridge to fence in the yard. Capt. Ed Sheridan operated the ferry which would transverse the canal, until the brid…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEV_jennie-whiteoak-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
This home is recognized for having the "Dunnage" or scrap wood that was removed from passing ships and used as siding. Also called the Reeves House as Pop Reeve's lived here from 1951 to 1985. A complete restoration in the early 1990's brought this home bac…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEW_stubbs-caldwell-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
Built by Richard B. stubbs, this is one of the few buildings which have gables attached to the facade, giving it a Victorian Gothic element. The one story angled porch follows the configuration of the facade and bay window, creating a semi-octagonal porch. …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEX_the-whiteoak-house_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
Architecturally the Whiteoak House is representative of vernacular buildings constructed in Chesapeake City in the 1840's and 50's. Old timers in Chesapeake City claim this house rests on the 1st lot sold in town. In 1854, Richard Bayard leased the property…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMEZ_karsner-wilsey-house-office_Chesapeake-City-MD.html
Like it's neighbors this house is 3 story, 3 bay frame dwelling with a rear wing. Standing on a stone foundation, it is covered with weather-boards. Dr. William C. Karsner built this home c. 1884.He served the people of Chesapeake City and the surrounding c…
PAGE 1 OF 3