Town founder Levi Ruggles built a store on this site in 1876. In 1882, it became Peter Will's Brewery. It was demolished for the construction, in 1915, of the C. G. Powell People's Store, a single-story, commercial building. Prominent Phoenix architects Lescher and Kibbey incorporated exposed buff-color and common red-brick, leaded-glass transoms, a pressed-metal ceiling, and a tiled island display case. Beginning in 1919, the Kaufmann Mandell family operated Mandell's Department Store at this location for more than seventy years.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places