Juan Avenenti, an Italian immigrant who came to Arizona about 1870, purchased this property in 1886 from Frank M. Griffen. Previously, it had belonged to Florence pioneers Levi Ruggles and Charles Douglas. Avenenti, a grocer, butcher and rancher, built the present structure for a meat market. It became part of a complex of four buildings on this block owned by Avenenti and his family. In later years, it served as saloon, bank, restaurant, City Council Chambers, and cobbler's shop. It has been restored by the Florence Industrial Development Authority.