Historical Marker Series

Arizona: Historic Florence Walking Tour

Showing results 1 to 10 of 25
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHPF_silver-king-florence-hotel_Coolidge-AZ.html
Built in 1876 for William Long, a partner in the Silver King Mine. Originally an unplastered, L-shaped adobe with gabled roof, the Silver King was renamed the Florence Hotel in 1890. Fire destroyed a portion of the hotel which was replaced by the two-story …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHPT_conrad-brunenkant-building_Florence-AZ.html
This two-story red-brick commercial building was constructed in 1890 for Conrad Brunenkant. The bricks were locally made, and the rock-faced cut lintels and sills are from locally quarried stone. The exterior was altered in 1973 when the porch with awnings …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHPU_jesus-martinez-house_Florence-AZ.html
Jesus Martinez, a farmer from New Mexico, began construction on this adobe house in 1872. Completed in 1880, the U-shaped building had a traditional Sonoran flat dirt roof and central patio enclosed on three sides. By 1890 the house was divided for use as a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHPY_assumption-of-the-blessed-virgin-mary-catholic-church_Florence-AZ.html
Completed in 1912, the Church of The Assumption is an example of the Mission Revival style of architecture. The third church built for Assumption Parish, it replaced the second church built on this site in 1884, which burned down in 1893. This church was de…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHQ0_la-capilla-del-gila_Florence-AZ.html
This first Catholic Church in central Arizona, built in 1870 by Father Andre Echallier, was called "La Capilla del Gila". In 1883 a larger edifice commemorating the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was constructed to the west: a convent was added to t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHQH_e-n-fish-co-store_Florence-AZ.html
Edward Nye Fish, prominent Tucson merchant, and his partner/manager Joseph Collingwood, first Florence postmaster, opened Florence's first store in this building in 1868. Building additions from 1867 to 1888 formed a U-shaped complex, and portions of the…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHQJ_george-a-brown-house_Florence-AZ.html
This was originally a flat-roofed Sonoran adobe built in 1875 for George A. Brown, Adamsville saloon keeper. The house served briefly as the Wells Fargo office during a rash of stagecoach robberies. "By God" Brown known for his oft-repeated phrase, was a co…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHQO_e-n-fish-co-store_Florence-AZ.html
Built in 1874 of unplastered adobe with pitched roofs, this second Edward Nye Fish mercantile store in Florence changed hands to become the, Joseph Collingwood & Co. Store and Wells Fargo office in 1877. Collingwood, Florence's first postmaster, had been Tu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHQP_charles-rapp-saloon_Coolidge-AZ.html
This mid-1870 commercial building was built on the corner of Main and 7th streets. This Sonoran style building is the most intact of the four remaining untransformed examples of the adobe-walled, earth-roofed Sonoran traditional design which still stand on …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHR2_mauk-building_Coolidge-AZ.html
Built in 1925, this is an example of early 20th Century Commercial style. One of three structures in Florence designed by George Mauk of Phoenix. He was an architect movie house mogul, and U.S. marshal. This building was used as Arizona Edison and Arizona P…
PAGE 1 OF 3