The Chesapeake Bay and its many tributaries have served as natural highways since the beginning of civilization. With the gradual development of villages and settlements along the shorelines, the waterways became the primary means of transportation and commerce for this region of the country. Vessels ranging from simple dugout canoes to shallops, steamboats and international tankers have traversed these waterways for centuries.
Beginning in the 1800's, Piney Point became a steamboat destination on the Potomac River, bringing market goods and passengers to this popular summer resort community. Local watermen capitalized on the natural bounty of these waters and shipped their harvests of fish and shellfish from the Potomac to distant markets. Today, a local company still uses this last deepwater channel off the tip of Piney Point to transport fuel and asphalt products from international tankers to the nearby storage facility.
Caption of photo on lower left side of marker
The steamship Talbot brought visitors from Washington, D. C. and Baltimore, Maryland to the Piney Point wharf.
Caption of photo on lower right side of marker
Deep water petroleum terminal dock at Piney Point, Maryland