Almost from the beginning of the new nation, the United States established military facilities along the Potomac River - to test guns and munitions before placing them into service, to train troops and to defend the Nation's Capital.
Piney Point became the testing range for torpedoes manufactured in Alexandria, Virginia, during World War II. The Naval Torpedo Test Center and Range was commissioned following the war and the base is now the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education, located a mile from the lighthouse.
Caption of photo on top left side of marker
A torpedo barge firing offshore from Piney Point, Maryland.
Caption of photo on bottom left side of marker
Torpedo being fitted for a single mount tube at the Naval Torpedo Station in Alexandria, Virginia
Caption of photo on right side of marker
1920's aerial view of the Naval Torpedo Station in Alexandria, Virginia.