The Confederate hospital was built here under the direction of Dr. Andrew Russell Meem, by order of the Confederate Medical Department in Sept. 1861. The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, each 150 feet long, accommodating 500 patients. At the end of the war, the 192nd Ohio Volunteer Militia tore down the hospital and used the lumber to construct a large military installation that included a courthouse, guardhouse, gallows, and ballroom on Rude's Hill, three miles south of Mount Jackson. Federal ocupation forces used these structures throughout the Reconstruction period. The cemetery, which was established directly across the Valley Pike in 1861, was dedicated in 1866.