The Mount Jackson Confederate Hospital's Cemetery,now called Our Soldiers Cemetery, was dedicated on May 10, 1866 the third anniversary of Stonewall Jackson's death. The "Memorial and Decoration Day" organized by the local ladies was one of the first such observances in the South. The service began with an address in the church by Major Henry Kyd Douglas, the youngest of Jackson's staff officers. Afterward, a participant wrote that "ladies, gentlemen and children as well as many ex-Confederates, all carrying wreaths prepared the day before, marched to the cemetery ? of a mile north of town to place those wreaths on each of the 400 graves."