In July, 1837, Henry Romer platted the village of St. Henry, Ohio. The Romer (Roemer), Bruns, Beckman, Wimmers, Borgelt, Athmer, Wendell, Grievenkamp, Huelsmann, Brockmann, and Hemmelgarnn families were among those early settlers of the 1830's and the 1840's. The Miami and Erie Canal provided transportation, between the Ohio River and Mercer County, for mannnnnnnny early German settlers. In December 1883, the Cincinnati and Jackson Railroad reached St. Henry, and provided a more effective method for transporting products to market than the canal. By 1884, over twenty businesses existed. From the early 1840's to the present, the community has supported the St. Henry Catholic Church, and an excellent school system.
The 1900 village census was listed at 650. The village of St. Henry incorporated in 1901; the first officers were Mayor, Jacob Bany, Sr.; Marshall, Joseph Schoeneberger, Treasurer, Edward F. Romer; Clerk, H. A. Beckman; Council J.H. Roemer, A. Gulde, Casper Schoeneberger, Joseph Moeller, Joseph Davis, and J. A. Schirack. In July 1905, a major fire threatened the village and destroyed Bruns' Livery Stable, Hotel, Carriage Business and nearby buildings. The next week, the citizens of the Village gathered to organize a Fire Department.
Donated by the St. Henry Commercial Club