St. Paul Catholic Church

St. Paul Catholic Church (HM28V2)

Location: Fort Recovery, OH 45846 Mercer County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 22.063', W 84° 42.682'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 10 views
Inscription

In the "Land of Cross-Tipped Churches"

St. Paul Catholic Church
Dedication: March, 1889
Architect: Anton DeCurtins (1830—1895), Carthagena, Ohio
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1979

This historic parish began in 1867 on four acres of land purchased by nine German-born families. It was established from the nearby parish of St. Wendelin. By the following year, a 30 x 40 frame church was built with the parish under the direction of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. Other families, especially from Lorain County, OH, soon began to purchase land within the boundaries. This increase in parishioners necessitated planning for the present church.
This endeavor, begun in 1886, was a cooperative effort by parishioners. Anton DeCurtins, the architect, presented plans and directed the building construction to their exacting Germanic standards. The church, an imposing Gothic-Revival brick structure, measures 100 feet by 48 feet. The tower rises to a height of 125 feet.
The exterior sides are divided into five bays separated by brick buttresses, each capped with a triangular finial. Triangles, a symbol of God and the Trinity, are used extensively throughout the exterior as the dominant motif for decorative shapes. The ornate tower and steeple can be seen for miles and contain bells that have summoned parishioners



for generations.
The interior of the church contains a profusion of lined ribbing creating multiple arches that spring from Corinthian style bases. The ribbing frames each bay of the nave, creating large vaulted areas that are highlighted by stained glass windows exemplifying the life of St. Paul, the great Apostle, for whom the church was named.
Significant renovations to the church were completed in 1971 and 1979. In 2004 St. Paul became part of the Fort Recovery Cluster. The care of the parish was transferred to the Archdiocese of Cincinnati in 2006.
Erected for the 150th Anniversary of St. Paul Parish June 24, 2018

Sharpsburg (Zenz City)
The area was known as Sharpsburg or "sheep city" when the church was built in 1868. In 1886 Violet Post Office was established with John P. Wourms, postmaster. George and Barbara Zenz, originally from Lorain County, Ohio, began a country store located at the northeast corner of Meiring and Sharpsburg Roads. By 1872 a larger building was erected. A son, John Zenz, joined the business and by 1898 a two story brick building housed the successful general store and tavern. John and Rosa Zenz built a large home nicknamed "the castle." In 1908 the village was platted as Zenz City.
Andrew Forthofer purchased the store and tavern in 1914, later operated by Walter and Jean Forthofer. A dance hall



"Wonderland" became a popular spot, which eventually was converted to a supermarket. Sharpsburg was also known for the ball team, the "Sharpsburg Speeds." Sharpsburg is a leader in the poultry industry. Today Big K Mills represents the agricultural heritage of the village.
Sharpsburg School (1872-2000)
Located on church property in 1872 the original Sharpsburg School was replaced by a one room brick school in 1906. Designed by the DeCurtins Firm, the school complimented the design of St. Paul Church. Built as a public school it was administered by the Sharpsburg School Board. The students attended Mass before school with the pastor teaching Catechism and Bible History in the school. An addition created three classrooms and an auditorium in 1937. By 1962 there were eight classrooms. Church buses brought St. Paul students in from outside the Fort Recovery School District.
In 1966 Sharpsburg School was separated from the parish due to a lawsuit. For religious instruction, in 1972, a parish hall and additional five classrooms were added to the church.
Erected for the 150th Anniversary of St. Paul Parish June 24, 2018
Details
HM NumberHM28V2
Tags
Year Placed2018
Placed BySt. Paul Parish
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 at 7:02pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16T E 694313 N 4471085
Decimal Degrees40.36771667, -84.71136667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 22.063', W 84° 42.682'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 22' 3.7799999999999" N, 84° 42' 40.92" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)419, 937, 567
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2456 Sharpsburg Rd, Fort Recovery OH 45846, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?