—September 27, 1864, 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. —The iron furnace is the most visible remains of what was once a thriving iron mining industry in the Arcadia Valley. The first iron furnace was constructed in 1848, but was destroyed by the rebel army after the Battle of Pilot Knob. It was rebuilt a year later and mining operations resumed. It was near here, prior to the frontal assaults on Ft. Davidson by the rebel army, that Major Wilson, Captain Dinger, and five men were taken prisoner.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 29th, 2016 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 708676 N 4166498|
|Decimal Degrees||37.62193333, -90.63546667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 37.316', W 90° 38.128'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 37' 18.96" N, 90° 38' 7.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Oak St, Ironton MO 63650, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.