C. 1854[photo] Church on original site. This church, originally Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, was constructed in approximately 1854, when the first baptism and marriage were recorded. It was located on Transit Road near Muegel Road, north of the Transit Valley Country Club, until the 1960s, when the congregation constructed a new church south of that site. The church cemetery remains on Transit Road at the original location. This typical country church served the German-speaking Lutheran residents of East Amherst, Clarence and Swormville. Services were held in German until the early 20th century. The words over the doorway are the German translation for "Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church." The women of the church held fundraisers for several years to pay for the stained glass windows. All the stained glass windows in this building, except for the altar window, are the original 19th century windows that were made by the Frohe Art Glass Company of Buffalo. More than 100 years later, this family-owned firm also created the present altar window as a modern adaptation of the original which the congregation removed for use in its new building. The design of the alter window, "Christ Knocking - The Light of the World" was based on a painting by the English artist William Holman Hunt. The cost to duplicate this window was prohibitive. A photo of the original wondow is displayed next to the altar. Only four front pews are original to the building. Unfortunately the Museum has been unable to acquire the rest of the original pews. Woodworking details are typical of German churches of this time. The altar railing was replaced in 1996. Earlier photographs and marks on the floor showed the details and placement of the original railing. The 1870s pump organ was made by the Ann Arbor Organ Co. of Ann Arbor, Michigan. The steeple bell, a replacement of the original, could be heard for miles and was rung before services and to alert the surrounding community to emergencies. Note the gold crown at the top of the steeple.
|Placed By||BUffalo Niagara Heritage Village; marker sponsor: Uniland Corp|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, May 18th, 2015 at 10:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 684798 N 4772561|
|Decimal Degrees||43.08325000, -78.72973333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 4.995', W 78° 43.784'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 4' 59.7" N, 78° 43' 47.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3755 Tonawanda Creek Rd, Buffalo NY 14228, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.