— Charge the hose! —The means by which citizens fought fires in the early days of the village were primitive at best. Bucket brigades were the main means of fighting fires. Early village law required every homeowner to have two buckets located close to an outside door, clearly inscribed with the owners [sic] name. Medina's first water works was installed for fire protection during the 1860's along Shelby (Main) Street. Pipes were laid along the east side of the street, from the railroad to Pearl Street, with the raceway providing water. This early hydrant system was later upgraded with larger pipe, more hydrants and greater coverage. Water for this system came from Oak Orchard Creek with a water wheel for pressure located at the Bignall Foundry. Crude though it was, the system provided protection until the installation of a village water system in 1892.
|Placed By||Medina Fire Department Local 2161|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 at 7:10am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 712222 N 4788442|
|Decimal Degrees||43.21893333, -78.38706667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 13.136', W 78° 23.224'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 13' 8.16" N, 78° 23' 13.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||585, 716|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 556-648 State Hwy 31, Medina NY 14103, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.