HistoryThis sandstone building was constructed in 1903 for the Yolo County Savings Bank, which occupied part of the lower floor. Other establishments in the building were J. D. Musgrove Insurance, F. V. Stening, Tailor and occupying the upstairs were the offices of Drs. Kier and Guthrie.
In 1914 the building was extensively remodeled so that the Bank of Woodland, a national bank, could share the quarters with Yolo County Savings, a state bank. In the remodeling, it seems no expense was spared, as the inlaid mahogany paneling, imported Italian marble floor, vault facings and entrance fa?ade, and the brass and bronze work were installed at a cost in 1914 of $20,000. An equal amount was spent to build and equip the vaults. This brought the total value of the building to $60,000. The Bank of Woodland, ranked as one of the leading institutions in this area of the state, took complete control of the building two years later. It survived until 1950 when it was acquired by American Trust Company which eventually merged with Wells Fargo Bank in 1960. A few years later Wells Fargo gained complete control and occupied the building until 1963.
We invite you to enjoy the beautiful architecture of the vault and the wonderful building.