Byron Jackson (1841-1921) was an inventor and manufacturer of farm equipment and pumps. His name endures on pumps used in agriculture, petroleum, mining, power generations and water supply. Born in Ohio, Jackson moved to Woodland with his parents in 1860. He first worked on his father's farm, and in 1872 established his first machine shop in the Yolo Planing Mill on the west side of First Street next to Hesperian College.
Here Jackson invented and manufactured tools for local farmers. In 1878 he moved his business to San Francisco, where in 1890 he patented his first centrifugal pump. In his lifetime he was awarded patents for 13 inventions. The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed his plant, but business continued, using machinery salvaged from the fire. Byron Jackson retired in 1913, and two years later the company moved to a new plant in Berkeley. In the 1950's the company was purchased by Borg-Warner Corporation, and Byron Jackson's company became the foundation for the Pump Division of present day BW/IP International, Inc., based in Long Beach, Ca.