Officers' HutThe Fort Ward entrance gate, completed in May 1865, provided the only access to the interior of the fort. The gate's decorative details include stands of cannonballs and the insignia (castle) of the Army Corps of Engineers which designed and supervised the construction of the Defenses of Washington. The present gate is a reconstruction based on the original Corps of Engineers drawing above.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Defenses of Washington series|
|Placed By||City of Alexandria|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 10:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 317508 N 4299935|
|Decimal Degrees||38.82931667, -77.10235000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 49.759', W 77° 6.141'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 49' 45.54" N, 77° 6' 8.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 703|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4301 W Braddock Rd, Alexandria VA 22304, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|