Historical Marker Series

Defenses of Washington

Showing results 1 to 10 of 79
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5B_fort-bayard_Washington-MD.html
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865. No visible evidence remains of Fort Bayard, which stood at the top of this hill. Named for Brig. Gen. George Bayard, mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMID_lincoln-reviews-troops-at-baileys-crossroads_Baileys-Crossroads-VA.html
After the Union defeat on 21 July 1861 at the First Battle of Manassas, Lincoln appointed Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan as commander of the demoralized army. A superb organizer, McClellan rebuilt the army and on 20 November 1861 staged a formal military rev…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUZ_fort-ethan-allen_Arlington-VA.html
Historical SiteDefenses of Washington1861-1865Fort Ethan AllenThis embankment was the south face of Fort Ethan Allen, a bastioned earthwork built in September 1861 to command all the approaches to Chain Bridge south of Pimmit Run. The fort had a perimeter o…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMV0_fort-ethan-allen_Arlington-VA.html
Fort Ethan Allen was constructed during the Civil War to provide one of the last lines of defense against possible Confederate attacks aimed at Washington. The fort commanded approaches to Chain Bridge (over the Potomac River) from the south of Pimmit Run. …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18U_taylors-tavern_Falls-Church-VA.html
Two-story building with verandahs stood on 56 acres bought in 1856 by Wm. Taylor (part of 1731 271-acre T. Harrison grant). Tavern faced Alexandria-Leesburg Pike west of Junction with Georgetown Road (Wilson Blvd.). Near here on June 24, 1861, balloonist Th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1D2_fort-totten_Washington-DC.html
Earthworks of Fort Totten are visible within the wooded area 50 yards at the top of this hill. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1D8_fort-totten_Washington-DC.html
One of the Civil War defenses of Washington construction of Fort Totten was begun in August 1861, named after Gen. Joseph G. Totten the fort contained 20 guns and mortars including eight 32-pounders. United States Department of the InteriorNational Parks…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1DM_fort-slocum_Washington-DC.html
No visible evidence remains of Fort Slocum, which stood here and across Kansas Avenue to your left. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1E3_fort-stevens_Washington-DC.html
Civil War Defenses of Washington1861-1865 The partial reconstruction of Fort Stevens that you see today was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. No visible evidence of the original fort remains. Battle of Fort StevensJuly 11-12, 1864 On…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1FD_auxiliary-battery_McLean-VA.html
An extensive line of rifle trenches connected the advance works of Fort Ethan Allen and Fort Marcy and extended to the west bank of the Potomac River. Auxiliary batteries for the field guns, strategically placed, provided additional strength to afford a ful…
PAGE 1 OF 8