In the late 1820's, pioneers began settling the Cherry Hill area of Canton, following an Indian trail - a high, sandy and dry ridge that once was the beach of an Ice Age Lake, which today is known as Ridge Rd.
In 1827 Hugh Clyde received a land grant of 80 acres, which includes this property. Log cabins and this style ca. 1840 timber framed "Folk House" was typical of early pioneer homes built in the area.
From 1827-1922, this house and property changed hands ten times. Stillman Corwin owned this property the longest (1880-1922). Corwin's ancestors were among the earliest settlers in Canton, arriving in the 1830's.
In 2008 the Canton Historic District Commission had the opportunity to preserve this pioneer "Folk House" and moved it across the street to Preservation Park thanks to a gift from the property owners, Peter Stano and Uptown Ridge Investors, LLC.