The Barlett[sic]-Travis house embodies three distinct architectural periods of S.E. Michigan. Donated to Canton in 1988, it was moved to this site in 1989 and restoration began in earnest in 1993. In 2002, the house was completed and opened to the community with a great deal of fanfare. Several members of the Travis family attended, and were filled with memories of their childhood, as well as pleasure in seeing it preserved.
The early version of this house, ca. 1840, was a storey and a half Greek Revival cottage, typical of 2nd generation houses built in Canton. Maria and Thomas Bartlett and their children lived here until the 1860's. Two of the Bartlett boys were soldiers in the Civil War, and fought in the Battle of Gettysburg. Their son, George Bartlett moved into "the old place" and remodeled it in the 1870's; "Victorianizing" it with a full 2nd floor, a rear kitchen "ell," new windows and a fancy frilly Italianate porch.
William and Martha Travis owned the house from 1908 to the 1950's. The Travis family added the big "Colonial Revival" wrap around porch in 1919, which everyone to this day enjoys. The house changed hands several times, until it was donated by Ken Dividock to Canton in order to preserve it. Today it is open to the public and available for rentals.