Historical Marker Series

El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 35
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5VL_founding-of-the-mission-and-the-origin-of-name_San-Antonio-TX.html
The San Antonio de Padua Mission was founded in San Antonio in 1716 by the Franciscan Father, Antonio Olivares, and after merging with the San Francisco Solano Mission in 1718, it was officially founded as the San Antonio de Valero Mission. The present site…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDE2_the-casas-reales_San-Antonio-TX.html
On site chosen July 2, 1731, for "government houses" by people of San Fernando de Bexar, including newly-arrived settlers from the Canary Islands. Structure, erected 1742, had to be rebuilt in 1779 by Don Jose Antonio Curbelo, alcalde of the Villa San Ferna…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDZM_mound-prairie_Alto-TX.html
Bulging out of the earth a few yards form this point, three prehistoric Indian mounds interrupt the prevailing flat terrain. Long overgrown with grass, the mounds and adjacent village (covering about 100 acres) constitute one of the major aboriginal sites i…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME0T_ancient-mound_Nacogdoches-TX.html
Mound Street got its name in the 18th century from mounds which lined it from Main to King Street. These were built by prehistoric Indians. Only this one remains. Pottery from a demolished mound that measured 150 by 75 feet is preserved in Old Stone Fort, S…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME4W_texas-stagecoaches-c-s-a_Nacogdoches-TX.html
At this site on the historic King's Highway, used since 1691, passengers boarded stagecoaches during the Civil War, 1861-65. Besides this stand, the town had 2 others, to serve 3 stage lines operating here. Wm. Clark had the line to Mt. Pleasant, Haston …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMEQ2_santiago-del-valle-grant_Austin-TX.html
McKinney Falls State Park lies in the center of an early Texas land grand that originally fell within the empresario contract of Texian hero Ben Milam. Ten leagues of land were transferred in 1832 to Santiago Del Valle, who at the at time was secretary o…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMI1B_mission-san-francisco-de-los-tejas_Grapeland-TX.html
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. Alonso De…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIHE_la-bahia-road_Brenham-TX.html
One of the first overland routes used by European explorers of Texas, La Bahia Road was originally an east-west Indian trail in southeastern Texas and Louisiana. Earlier it may have been an animal trail. Although not as famous, or long, as El Camino Real (t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMKJ2_acequia-irrigation-ditch_San-Antonio-TX.html
Acequia or irrigation ditch,part of the original acequiabuilt to supply farms and theMission San Antonio del Valero.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMKK0_el-camino-real_Many-LA.html
Sabine River was the western boundary of the neutral stripfrom 1806 to 1820Pendleton CrossingMarked by the State of Louisianaand the Daughters of the American RevolutionA.D. 1951
PAGE 1 OF 4