—Lower Downtown Walking Tour —Constructed in 1896 for $75,000, the Morey Mercantile Building was the first notable warehouse to be built after the 1893 silver crash. Designed by Gove & Walsh, the structure included a spice grinding mill, roasting plant, extract laboratory and print shop. Unusual but practical features of the building include a second story main entrance built for direct access to and from the old 16th Street viaduct (demolished in 1944), a double wide alley between this building and the Henry Lee Building, and train tracks in the front for easy transfer of goods. These functional attributes were essential for a thriving, eclectic distributor like Morey, who manufactured, packaged and marketed all manner of food products, as well as brooms, writing tablets, matches, snuff, chewing tobacco, and cigars. From its founding in 1884, Morey Mercantile grew into an empire, becoming the largest wholesaler in the Rocky Mountain Region until its sale to Continental Foods in 1956. Even today, "C.S. Morey Mercantile Company" remains cut in stone above the second-story door on 16th Street.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||The Lower Downtown Historic District|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 2nd, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 499914 N 4400200|
|Decimal Degrees||39.75171667, -105.00100000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 45.103', W 105° 0.06'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 45' 6.18" N, 105° 0' 3.6" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||303, 720|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1598 Wynkoop St, Denver CO 80202, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|