In 1771, the Moravian Town of Salem completed construction of one of the first public waterworks systems in the American Colonies. Tapping natural springs located nearby, the system used bored logs, joined and buried underground, to deliver the water a mile away. The waterworks supplied water to public stand pipes in Salem's streets, and inside spigots in several of Salem's buildings. Completed in just two months, the system provided water not just for drinking, but for fire protection and commercial needs as well. George Washington stopped to view the waterworks in 1791 during his Southern Tour. In 1808, new ceramic pipes were installed, but eventually failed due to high water pressure. A pump-driven waterworks replaced the original system in 1828.