Founded in 1865 as a Smoky Hill Trail station, Kiowa might well have vanished five years later, when the Kansas Pacific Railroad bypassed the town and made the trail obsolete. But enough ranchers had moved here by then to keep Kiowa alive. With plentiful pastures and rapidly growing markets in nearby Denver and Colorado Springs, this was a stockman's paradise. By the 1880s more than 150,000 cattle and sheep grazed in this area, and farmers began to move in, swelling Kiowa's population to a few hundred. The town prospered until the Great Depression, survived the Dust Bowl and a devastating 1935 flood, and recovered after World War II, helped along by Denver's suburban development. By 2000, however, that growth posed a new challenge to Kiowans: how to preserve their western roots in the face of metropolitan encroachment.
|Series||This marker is part of the Colorado: History Colorado series|
|Placed By||Colorado Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 5:44am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 545923 N 4355386|
|Decimal Degrees||39.34670000, -104.46705000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 20.802', W 104° 28.023'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 20' 48.12" N, 104° 28' 1.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 237-299 Comanche St, Kiowa CO 80117, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.