This marker is made up of three separate panels.
From a narrow dirt wagon road to a scenic byway, the Carson Route has evolved over time to meet the needs of generations of travelers and our changing means of transportation.
1844 - On their way to Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, John C. Fremont and Kit Carson, followed and ancient Indian trading route over Carson Pass.
1848 - Discharged members of the Mormon Battalion crossed the route from west to east on their way to join family and friends in Salt Lake City.
1949 - For the next three years, the route was the most heavily used Sierra crossing by gold seekers.
1862 - The Amador Carson Valley Wagon Road was constructed following the discovery of the Comstock Lode. Wagons transported much needed produce and timber to the silver mines in Nevada. The route followed the general location of the highway today.
1911 - With the advent of the automobile, the old wagon road was replaced by the Alpine State Highway. The narrow windy road accommodated animals, wagons and the first slow moving cars.
1930s - Faster cars and the popularity of recreational touring created a need for straighter, wider roads. The new improvements included the original Peddler Hill overlook.
1958 - The ever increasing speed of cars required further improvements to the highway. The construction of Pacific Gas and Electric's Lower Bear River Reservoir in 1951 and day use recreation sites along the route, including the Peddler Hill Ski area, enticed more and more people to this beautiful landscape.
1950-1972 - Peddler Hill Ski Area was located directly behind you, across the highway. This overlook was the farthest point east that the state plowed snow until 1972 when Kirkwood Ski Area, located 20 miles east, opened and Peddler Hill closed.