Named for an 1890's railroad which was never built, Railroad Pass first became a destination after Professor Robert T. Hill discovered alunite in the area in 1908. A mining district was formed, but only small amounts of gold were found. Mines in the area included the Alunite, Bean Pot, Lucky Dutchman, Ouo Vadis, Spearhead, and Vincent. The short-lived mining boom ended by 1910.
With the advent of the Great Depression, tent cities sprang up in the pass with names like Texas Acres and Oklahoma City. The Railroad Pass school district was organized in 1932, with a one room school just above this site, which operated until absorbed into the Henderson School District in 1942. The patented Alunite Mine site was acquired because of its proximity to the Boulder Canyon project. A bar and casino was built, which opened in 1931. This casino, originally known as Railroad Pass Club, holds gaming license #4 issued by the State of Nevada, and is the oldest continually operating casino in the state.