Once a gracious turn-of-the-century neighborhood, many of the homes here were close to condemnation when purchased by Circle "S" Industries, Inc. in 1980. In all, 12 Victorian cottages were renovated in the area.
Built between 1870 and 1920, the varied architecture includes Italianate, Carpenter Gothic and Greek revival. The exteriors were authentically restored and the interiors, while adapted to contemporary living, retain many original features.
The area is called "Fairoaks Square" for "Fairoaks", the original name of Henderson House, the restored ante bellum mansion that serves as conference center and guest house of Circle "S" Industries, Inc.
This project has received national acclaim from preservationists and serves as an example of commitment to the protection of the heritage of this country. It received a 1983 Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.