In 1838 - 41, a construction camp of laborers, grading & building the State R.R., was located at the spring approximately 250 yds. W. of here, where temporary structures (shanties) housed the workmen.
Track level here, being some 345 ft. above the level at Cartersville, 19 mi. N., the grade was 18 ft. per mi. at the time of construction. In railroad parlance, this was known as "the big grade to the shanties" - later shortened to "big shanty grade", finally to "Big Shanty", which was changed to Kennesaw about 1870. In June, 1864, Federal forces on the Kennesaw Mtn. front, drew supplies at this point.