Chouteau's Church (St. Francis Regis)

Chouteau's Church (St. Francis Regis) (HMIRQ)

Location: Kansas City, MO 64105 Jackson County
Country: United States of America

N 39° 6.061', W 94° 35.381'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 204 views
Inscription

Saint Francois Regis-"L'Eglise Des Chouteau"

front of marker in English

The presence of the Catholic Church was established at an early date in the Kansas City area. Sacerdotal artifacts were among the earliest booty captured by the Comanches in the 1690's, apparently from French priests making their way up the Missouri and out across the plains, some of the first travelers on the Santa Fe Trail. Fr. Mercier accompanied de Bourgemont past Kawsmouth to the Comanche country in 1723-1724, and the Jesuits had a mission at the Kansa Grand Village, 12 leagues north of the Kaw, in 1727. Fr. Lutz and Fr. Roux, two "little French priests"; ministered briefly to the small French-Catholic enclave here in 1826, and in 1833-1834. Fr. Roux planned the first permanent church for the Frenchc parish at Kawsmouth, naming the tiny log church in honor of St. Francis Regis. The structure was built in 1835 at the Southeast corner of 11th and Pennsylvania on 40 arpents of land donated by a French resident, Pierre La Liberte. There still exists today a drawing of the church made in 1840 by Fr. Nicholas Point, and a catechism printed in French. The bell of the church is preserved at St Teresa's Academy. Since many of the parishoners were family members and employees of the Chouteau's trading post, it came to be called "Chouteau's Church". Its most important and long term patroness was Madame Berenice Chouteau, widow of Francois Chouteau, the "Grande Dame" of Kansas City. Sacajawea's son, Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, may have been an early day parishoner. In the church were kept, in Latin and occasionally in French, the first birth, marriage and death records in Kansas City, and the adjacent French cemetery was the first burial ground in Kansas City.

Reverse of marker in French

L'église catholique fut établie très tôt à Kansas City par les Français. Dans le butin capturé par les Commanches dans les années 1690, il y avait des effets sacerdotaux ayant appartenu, semble-t- il, à des prêtres français qui traversaient les plaines parmi les premiers de la piste de Santa Fé. Frère Mercier, un prêtre, accompagna Bourgmont de Kawsmouth au centre du Kansas en 1723-1724. Les Jésuites avaient établi une mission dans le village principal des Kansas en 1727, à 12 lieues au Nord de la rivière Kaw.

Frère Lutz et Frère Roux, deux "petits prêtres français", desservirent pentant une courte période la petite enclave français catholique ici en 1826 et en 1833-1834, célèbrant le culte à domicile.

Frère Roux établit la première église permanente pour la paroisse française à Kawsmouth; il appeal cette petite église en bois: "Saint François Régis". L' église fut construite en 1835 à l'angle Sud-Est de l'intersection entre la 11ème. Rue et la rue de Pennsylvanie, sur 40 arpents de terre, don d'un résident français nommé "Pierre la Liberté". On possède encore aujourd'hui un dessin de l'église effectué en 1840 par Frère Nicolas Point, ainsi qu'un cathéchisme imprimé en français. La cloche de l'église est conservée à l'Académie Sainte Thérèse. Comme l'entreprise commerciale des Chouteau lui fournissait à la fois paroissiens et soutien, l'église fut appelée: "Eglise des Chouteau". Sa dame patronnesse fut pendant longtemps Madame Bérénice Chouteau, veuve de François Chouteau, la "Grande Dame" de Kansas City.

Le fils de Sacajawea, Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, a peut-être été l'un des premiers paroissiens. Les premiers actes de naissance, de marriage et de décès de l'histoire de Kansas City ont été établis dans cette église, en latin et en français, et le cimetière français derrière l'eglise fut le premier cimetière de Kansas City.
Details
HM NumberHMIRQ
Tags
Historical Period19th Century, 18th Century
Historical PlaceChurch/House of Worship
Marker TypeHistoric Building
Marker ClassHistorical Marker
Marker StyleFree Standing
Placed ByThe Chouteau Society & the Mildred Lane Kemper Fund
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 2:28am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 362538 N 4329189
Decimal Degrees39.10101667, -94.58968333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 6.061', W 94° 35.381'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 6' 3.6600" N, 94° 35' 22.8600" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)816
Can be seen from road?Yes
Is marker in the median?No
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 433-475 W 11th St, Kansas City MO 64105, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. Does the marker have a number?
  3. What year was the marker erected?
  4. This marker needs at least one picture.