This mission, founded October 9,1791 by Father Ferm?n Francisco de Lasu?n, ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor Jos? Joaqu?n de Arrillaga died here July 24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous in its early years, Soledad declined after 1825, but Father Vicente Francisco Sarr?a stayed on in poverty to serve the Indians until his death in 1835, when the mission was secularized. It was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 9th, 1955.
REGISTERED LANDMARK NO. 233
Plaque placed by Grand Parlors, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Native Sons of the Golden West, in cooperation with the California State Park Commission, October 14, 1956.