(Demolished 1930's)The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. Similar to golf or tennis clubs, this was instead a driving club since the ownership of an automobile was the latest rage. A great race track, designed after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, was begun and graded but never completed. It's north and south straightaways are now today's Lakeshore and South Lakeshore Drives. The place became a favorite locale for dances, barbecues and meetings for as many as 25,000 people at a time. Ownership evolved from the Motor Club to Investors Syndicate of Minneapolis, Minnesota to Jefferson County to Samford University, and others. Initial annexing into Homewood began in 1959.
|Placed By||City of Homewood and the Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 12:06am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 519124 N 3702414|
|Decimal Degrees||33.46100000, -86.79420000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 27.66', W 86° 47.652'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 27' 39.60" N, 86° 47' 39.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 617-625 Lakeshore Dr, Homewood AL 35209, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.