Shaker Square, the nation's second oldest planned shopping center was originally developed by the Van Sweringen brothers and opened for business in October, 1929. Currently owned and operated by Shaker Square Ltd., this center was patterned after Amalienborg Square in Copenhagen. The arrangement of 12 Georgian-style buildings, together with trees, hedgerows and grassed areas, makes Shaker Square one of the most attractive and architecturally distinguished shopping areas anywhere in the country. Passing through the middle of the Square, the first "Shaker Rapid" which opened in 1920 with trolley cars, provided a convenient transportation link to downtown Cleveland. Today, the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority owns and operates the service and provides customers and residents with a 12-minute commute to and from downtown Cleveland. The Shaker Square Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.