Texas Christian University and Fort Worth's partnership dates to 1910 although the connection began in 1869 when Ida Addison, and Randolph Clark established TCU's forerunner academy in the area known as Hell's Half Acre. The rowdiness of the area persuaded the Clarks to relocate their school to the country.
So began the moves and changes that led TCU to Thorp Spring, Waco, and back to Fort Worth in 1910, after fire destroyed the main building on the Waco campus.
The Fort Worth Board of Trade, an antecedent of the Chamber of Commerce, the Fairmount Land Company, and the city's Christian churches offered 50 acres, $200,000, and promises of utilities and a street car line, outbidding Waco and Dallas. Until facilities were constructed on "The Hill" - site of the present campus - in 1911, TCU leased space downtown in Ingram Flats, a series of two-story brick buildings at Weatherford and Commerce Streets.