Authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1909, seven agricultural experiment stations were established in the state. Providing facilities for agricultural scientists to develop information and procedures and solutions to regional agricultural problems, the stations and their programs ultimately affected agricultural methodology far beyond regional boundaries.
Known as the Rolling Plains Experiment Station or Substation No. 7, the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station at Spur opened at this site in December 1909. Land was provided by the S. M. Swenson and Sons Land and Cattle Company. Soil and water conservation programs were developed, including a system of terracing called "Syrup Pan." Providing full use of rainfall and diverted water, the system resulted in vastly improved crop yields.
Other programs at this station included the drafting of legislation which resulted in the establishment of the U.S. Soil Conservation Service; brush control using chemical, mechanical, and biological methods; and livestock breeding and nutrition experiments.
Although this station was officially closed in 1986, results of the research conducted here are still influencing agricultural programs worldwide.