1871 - 1951On this site stood Lee Chapel, a Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1871 and named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Lee Chapel replaced Mount Carmel Church which had been located at Ox Road and present day Lee Chapel Road and had been destroyed by fire. Many Sundays were spent here in worship and fellowship by some of the oldest and most respected families of Fairfax County. Around 1928, combined circumstances, including impassable roads, made it necessary to close the church; however Lee Chapel became an active church again in 1939 following an increase of new families into the area and the desire of the former members to reopen the church. Twelve years later, due to the ill-fated proposal to build the Burke National Airport (later Dulles) in the area, the church was closed for the final time in October, 1951. Plagued by Vandalism after closing, the church building was finally destroyed by controlled burning. Lee Chapel Cemetery is under the care of Sydenstricker United Methodist Church which holds its annual Easter Sunrise Service on this site.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 4:00am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 302193 N 4292066|
|Decimal Degrees||38.75515000, -77.27640000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 45.309', W 77° 16.584'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 45' 18.54" N, 77° 16' 35.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11400-11422 VA-286, Burke VA 22015, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.