Established Dec. 7, 1866
Boundaries of eastern Talladega County and western Randolph County were redrawn in 1866 to create the 58th county of Alabama. The name honors U. S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky. Historical place names include Almond, Anititchapko, Ashland, Barfield, Berwick, Bluff Springs, Bowden Grove, Brownsville, Bull Gap Crossroads, Campbell Springs, Carbon, Carr Mill, Chambers Springs, Clairmont Springs, Cleveland Crossroads, Coleta, Cooley, Copper Mine, County Line, Cragford, Delta, Dempsy, East Mill, Elias, Erin, Fishhead, Flat Rock, Fox Creek, Gibsonville, Gilberts Mill. Glades, Guntertown, Harlan, Hatchet Creek, Haynes Crossroads, High Pine, Highland, Hillabee, Hillabi Town, Hollins, Idaho, Jenkins Springs, Laundshi, Lineville Lundies Crossroads, McConathy, Mellow Valley, Midway, Millerville, Motley, Mountain, Needmore, Pinckneyville, Potus-Hatchi, Puckna, Pyriton, Rays Crossroads, Roma, Roselle, Ross Ford, Shady Grove, Shinbone, Sikesville, Skegg Crossroads, Springhill, Talladega Mountains, Union, Wako-Kayi, Watts Crossroads, Watts Mill. Weathers, Wesobulga, Wheelerville,
Wicker, and Winn.
Clay County Courthouse
The county's first courthouse burned in 1875. Anniston architect Charles W. Carleton designed the present courthouse with Italian Renaissance elements. Contractor Harper & Barnes of Cleveland, Tenn., completed the building in August, 1906, at a cost of $37,986. A Seth Thomas clock in the dome is dated 1907. The courthouse has the highest elevation of any courthouse in Alabama. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black began his legal career here in 1906. Congressman Bob Riley launched a campaign for governor on the west side of the courthouse, and in 2003 became the first county native to serve as governor. This marker celebrating the centennial of the courthouse was unveiled on Aug. 12, 2006.