Text on the east side of marker:
The O & W Railroad Promenade and Bikeway was constructed in 2000-2001 and is named for the New York, Ontario and Western Railroad which served Oswego from 1880 to 1957. The O & W, as it came to be known, was the successor to the New York, Oswego, and Midland Railroad which began passenger service to Oswego in 1869. The O & W tracks ran from Bridge Street north on the route now occupied by the bike path and pedestrian walkway. The Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad owned the tracks and tunnel south of Bridge Street. The tunnel was originally opened in 1876 and became part of the New York Central Railroad in 1913.
Use of the tunnel for railroad purposes was discontinued in 1976 and by the 1990's it had deteriorated creating a risk of collapse. The restoration and reuse project is a blend of historic preservation and new construction which will allow this facility to continue to serve transportation needs of the current and future generations. The "O&W 2000" on the tunnel entrance commemorates the O & W Railroad Pedestrian Promenade and Bikeway project and is not intended to indicate the historic ownership of the tunnel.
The O&W Railroad Pedestrian Promenade and Bikeway was funded through the Federal Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA), the New York State Department of Transportation, Oswego County and the City of Oswego. The partnership reflects the ISTEA priorities of reuse of historic railroad facilities and provision of pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
A special thank you to the generous donors from the local community who contributed to the tree planting along the promenade. The names of the donors are engraved ninth brick pavers which can be found along the walkway.
Text on the south side of marker:
The first New York State Armory Building circa 1882. This structure function as the National Guard Headquarters and was also used by the public for many civic activities, such as public dances and exhibitions. As can be seen in the photo, the building has since then been remodeled and the tower removed.