Near this spot,situated on the west bank of the Colorado river, about 45 miles of fort Yuma, Fort Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The Camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Exposition in connection with the new establishment of Fort Mojave in Arizona. Supplies, including two mountain Howitzers, were transported by the two riverboats Colorado and General Jessup. This camp was used intermittently as late as 1868. The camp was named in honor of 2nd Lieutenant William Gaston who was killed in action against the Spokane Indians in 1859. Fort Gaston in Humbolt County, which operated at the same time, was also named for Lieutenant Gaston.
Plaque placed by the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
John P. Squibob Chapter 1853, Ca. and Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917+4 Az.
In cooperation with the Fort Gaston Historical Society, Palo Verde, Ca.
October, 18, 2014