On March 20, 1874, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized a modern Order of Enoch, called the United Order, Israel Hoyt, first president. A community dining hall with bakery was constructed, also a garden house for seeds and tools. They built a carpenter, blacksmith and shoe shop, tannery, gristmill, sawmill, molasses mill, bucket factory, a woolen and cotton factory; engaged in the silk industry, dairying, broom and hat making. The people planted farms, orchards and gardens, raised sheep and cattle. The cooperative ended in 1886.