In 1864 John, Joseph and Robert Berry, their families and others settled in Berryville. The church called more families in 1865. The town was abandoned because of Indian depredations in 1886 when Robert, his wife, Isabell, and Joseph Berry were killed by Indians. In 1871 settlers from the Muddy Mission came. The name was changed to Glendale. Each family received land in proportion to their number. A grist mill, sawmill, and public buildings were erected. James Leithead was first bishop, Warren M. Johnson first schoolteacher.