The Community House was erected as a memorial to James T. And Laura Polk by their son and daughter, Ralph Polk and Pearl Polk Dungan. It was dedicated as the center for many varied activities on Feb. 5, 1920. The building has contained the public library, city offices, club rooms, public meeting rooms, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, and auditorium-theater and a museum. It has been used for civic, youth, group, school and church activities that have brought culture, education, recreation and entertainment to Greenwood. The Polks, who developed the largest canning factory west of Maryland, are recognized as Greenwood's greatest benefactors.