Mankato's "First" City ParkThis area (Bunker Hill) once served as a Civil War recruitment center, but this was not the primary reason for its acquisition. The Mankato City Council purchased approximately 10.2 acres at 150 dollars an acre on October 15, 1874, with the intention of providing local residents with the first, dependable, free-flowing well. The following year an attempt was made to sink an artesian well into the hillside, but the water level never reached higher than 78 feet from the surface. Despite the failure, the City retained its ownership of the property with the intention of developing it at some later date. Since it was acquired in 1874, the Bunker Hill parcel was the first city-owned land to be later developed into a park.
|Placed By||Sons of the American Legion, Lorentz Squadron 11, Mankato Sesquicentennial Committee, Mankato, Minnesota|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 8:36pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 420372 N 4889635|
|Decimal Degrees||44.15558333, -93.99578333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 9.335', W 93° 59.747'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 9' 20.10" N, 93° 59' 44.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||507, 612|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 263-265 Weaver St, Mankato MN 56001, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.