In 1751, the legislators of the Province of Pennsylvania ordered from an English foundry "A Good Bell" for the new bell tower of the state house (now know as Independence Hall) in Philadelphia. It was to be the jubilee symbol of the Pennsylvania Colony—celebrating the 50th anniversary of William Penn's "Charter of Privileges," which had brought a half century of peace, prosperity and civil liberty to the colonists. The charter limited the power of government, and it gave Pennsylvanians the greatest personal liberty and material welfare experienced by any people up to that time. The bell was installed in 1753 and in time came to be recognized as the symbol of the new nation—America's Liberty Bell.
Here is one of the few exact replicas. It was cast in 1974 by the same foundry that cast the original bell in 1751. It is mounted exactly as the original was mounted in the tower of the state house in Philadelphia in 1753.
A gift to Pennsylvania in trust with Allegheny Trails Council, Boy Scouts of America, by Mrs. Chester H. Lehman, patriot 1889-1977
Dedicated July 4, 1978